BUILDING DEPARTMENT STAFF
Tracy Kallek - Building Administrator - ext 213
Lori Warner - Code Enforcement - ext. 214
Tracy Kallek - Building Administrator
Algonac Building Department
805 St. Clair River Drive
Algonac, MI 48001
Phone: (810) 794-9361 ext. 213
Inspections Phone: (810) 794-9361 ext. 213
Fax: (810) 794-4804
The Building Department is established to ensure a safe and sanitary environment for the community through the enforcement of Building Codes and City Ordinances relating to construction and land use regulation.
Pursuant to the provisions of the Michigan State Construction Code Act in accordance with Section 9 of Act 230, P.A. 1972, as amended, the building official of the City of Algonac is hereby designated as the enforcing agency to discharge the responsibility of the City under Act 230, State of Michigan. The City assumes responsibility for the administration and enforcement of said act throughout its corporate limits.
Permits and Inspections
Building permit fees, which include processing, staff review and all necessary inspections, are based on the cost of the project. Trade permit fees are based on the actual work being performed. Homeowners are eligible to obtain permits by filing an affidavit affirming they are doing the work themselves.
To request an inspection for all construction activity call 794-9361 ext. 214 a minimum of 24 hours in advance. The inspection will be scheduled according to the inspector's availability.Permits are required for the following work:
- New construction
- Replacement windows (if the overall size if changing)
- Reroofing (if wood replacement is required)
- Any repairs estimated to cost more than $600
- Electrical, Plumbing, Heating/Refrigeration Work
- Grading and site compliance
Inspectors in Michigan are required to be licensed through the Michigan Consumer and Industry Services. To maintain registration with the State, all inspectors are required to complete a number of hours of continuing education in approved educational or training programs.
All contractors who work on residential property are required to be licensed with the State of Michigan and required to register with the City of Algonac. Upon request for a permit, the Clerk will verify registration status of a Building Contractor, Electrical Contractor, Mechanical Contractor or Plumbing Contractor with the City records.
- When a contractor registers with the City, the holder of the license must appear in person.
- The contractor must present a State License, and a verifiable picture identification card. (I.D. car my be driver's license or State I.D. card.)
- The application requires the contractor's name, address, phone number, Federal Employer I.D. Number, or reason for exemption, MESC Employer Number or reason for exemption, the application's signature and date.
- The contractor must pay the registration fee, as set forth in the City of Algonac fee schedule.
- Only a Master Electrician (or homeowner perform work) is permitted to apply for and obtain an electrical permit.
Residential Builders, Electrical and Plumbing contractors are required to register with the City annually. All City registrations expire on December 31 of each year.A Mechanical Contractor is only required to register and pay a registration fee at the time their State of Michigan Mechanical License expires. A General Contractor performing commercial construction is not required to be licensed by the State of Michigan, but is required to register with the City of Algonac and pay the annual registration fee.
The City of Algonac, Code of Ordinances requires all business owners to obtain a business license, in accordance with Chapter 11, Article I-IV. The license is valid for two (2) years, and the license fee is $50.00(home based business is also $50.00).
RENTAL HOUSING INSPECTION ORDINANCE
Landlords are required to register all rental property. The City of Algonac, Code of Ordinances sets forth Landlord Registration and Inspection requirements. One of those requirements is an annual rental license. Further detail and description is set forth in the International Property Maintenance Code 2009. All fees are listed in the 2019-2020 Fee Schedule that takes effect July 1, 2019.
Registration Fees - prices effective 7.1.19
- New Single Family Rental Housing Unit: $100. (annual requirement)
- Multi-family Rental Housing unit : $50 (annual requirement, per unit)
- Multi-family Rental Housing unit registration late fee: $25. (per unit, each 30 days late)
- Failure to register occupied rental: $250
- Rental License Application
Inspection Fees - prices effective 7.1.19
Inspections are conducted every two years, upon change of occupancy or on a complaint.The owner or agent must be present during the inspection. The owner is responsible to contact the Building Department to schedule the inspection.
- Single Family Rental Housing Unit: $ 75
- Single Family Rental Inspection Late fee: $25. (per unit, each 30 days late)
- Multiple Family and Rooming House inspection fee is $50.00 per unit, per inspection.
The Planning Commission reviews and takes action on the following items:
- Site Plan review and approval
- Lot split requests
- Rezoning requests
- Alley vacation (street and canal vacation)
Contact the Building Administrator for specific questions regarding the above items. Applications for submittal to the Planning Commission are available at City Hall.
ZONING BOARD OF APPEALS
Applications and a $200 fee must be submitted to the City Clerk a minimum of 20 business days prior to scheduled meeting date of the Zoning Board of Appeals. At this meeting, you may appear in person, or be represented by an agent or attorney.
Prior to the meeting, the ZBA gives notice to all persons on City tax rolls within a radius of 300 feet of property subject to the appeal. There will also be a resume of your request published in a qualified newspaper at least ten days prior to the ZBA meeting.
Your application will not be considered unless all required information is provided at time of submission, to include a sketch or diagram of property depicting measurements, structures and proposed additions to the property.
The Building Inspector or City Clerk will be available to answer questions or assist you in filling out the application.
If your variance is approved you must obtain a building permit within a year of approval.